Bruce P Braun
• Geosocial formations; geontology; extraction and extractive capital
• Green urbanism and apparatuses of government: critical studies of urban sustainability; urban resilience as mode of government; design activism
• The politics of 'life': political rationality and biological existence; the securitization of biological life; biosecurity and empire
• Philosophy and geography: humanism and posthumanism; new materialisms
• Ecopolitics : environmental social movements; nature, environmentalism and difference; colonialism and environmentalism
I am currently working with the writings of, among others, Giorgio Agamben, Michel Foucault, Felix Guattari, Antonio Negri, Elizabeth Povinelli, Isabelle Stengers and Paolo Virno.
If you are interested in working with me, please send me a short cv and statement of your research interests.
- political ecology
- geopolitics of biosecurity
- social and political theory
- green urbanism
- biopolitics and the city
- Anthropocene in social, political and ecological thought
- PhD: Geography, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, 1996.
- Braun, Bruce, 2014. “A new urban dispositif? Governing life in the age of climate change.” Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 32, 49-64.
- Wakefield, Stephanie and Bruce Braun, 2014. “Governing the resilient city.” Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 32, 4-11.
- Braun, Bruce, 2013. “Power over life: biosecurity as biopolitics.” In Andrew Dobson, Kezia Barker and Sarah Taylor, eds., Biosecurity: The Socio-Politics of Invasive Species and Infectious Diseases. Earthscan, pp 45-57.
- Elizabeth Johnson, Eli Meyerhoff and Bruce Braun (in press). “Time and the University.“ ACME: An International E-Journal For Critical Geographers.
- Braun, Bruce and Sarah Whatmore, eds. 2010. Political Matter: Technoscience, Democracy and Public Life. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 319pp.
- Braun, Bruce. 2010. “The case of the missing present in Mannahatta.“ Cartographica, 45, 4, 248-252.
- Anderson, Kay and Bruce Braun, eds. 2008. Environment: Critical Essays in Human Geography. Contemporary Foundations in Space and Place Series (general editor, John Agnew). 2008. London: Ashgate. 604pp.
- Braun, Bruce. 2008. “Thinking the city through SARS: bodies, topologies, politics.“ In Harris Ali and Roger Keil, eds. Networked Disease: Emerging Infections in the Global City. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 250-266.
- Braun, Bruce. 2008. “Inventive life“ Progress in Human Geography, vol. 32: pp. 667 - 679.
- Braun, Bruce. 2007. “Biopolitics and the molecularization of life.“ Cultural Geographies, 14: 6-28. [Revised version reprinted in Richard Peet, Paul Robbins and Michael Watts, eds. In Press. Global Political Ecology. London: Routledge].
- Braun, Bruce. 2002. The Intemperate Rainforest: Nature, Culture and Power on Canada’s West Coast. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press. 347pp
- McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, 2001
- GEOG 1301: Our Globalizing World
- GEOG 3376: Polical Ecology of North America
- GEOG 4002: Environmental Thought and Practice
- GEOG 8001: Nature-Society Proseminar
- GEOG 8980: Technology and Biopolitics