Bruce P Braun
- The politics of 'life' : political rationality and biological existence; the securitization of biological life; biosecurity and empire; biology and virtuality
- The political life of objects: the place of technoscience in social and political life; cultural geography and materiality
- The animal and the human : the animal in social and political thought; configurations of humans and animals in an age of biosecurity
- Philosophy and geography: humanism and posthumanism; philosophies of corporeality and materiality; concepts of life and nature; ontology; the body in political theory
- Ecopolitics : environmental social movements; nature, environmentalism and difference; colonialism and environmentalism
- Green Urbanism and Form-of-Life: critical studies of urban sustainability; political technologies of green urbanism; design for behavior change
I am currently reading writers such as Georgio Agamben, Henri Bergson, Gilles Deleuze, Michael Dillon, Michel Foucault; Felix Guattari, Bruno Latour, Antonio Negri, Paolo Virno, Baruch Spinoza, and Isabelle Stengers.
If you are interested in working with me, please send me a short cv and statement of your research interests.
- political ecology
- geopolitics of biosecurity
- posthumanism and geography
- social and political theory
- green urbanism
- biopolitics and the city
- PhD: Geography, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, 1996.
- Elizabeth Johnson, Eli Meyerhoff and Bruce Braun (in press). “Time and the University.“ ACME: An International E-Journal For Critical Geographers.
- Braun, Bruce and Sarah Whatmore, eds. 2010. Political Matter: Technoscience, Democracy and Public Life. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 319pp.
- Braun, Bruce. 2010. “The case of the missing present in Mannahatta.“ Cartographica, 45, 4, 248-252.
- Anderson, Kay and Bruce Braun, eds. 2008. Environment: Critical Essays in Human Geography. Contemporary Foundations in Space and Place Series (general editor, John Agnew). 2008. London: Ashgate. 604pp.
- Braun, Bruce. 2008. “Thinking the city through SARS: bodies, topologies, politics.“ In Harris Ali and Roger Keil, eds. Networked Disease: Emerging Infections in the Global City. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 250-266.
- Braun, Bruce. 2008. “Inventive life“ Progress in Human Geography, vol. 32: pp. 667 - 679.
- Braun, Bruce. 2007. “Biopolitics and the molecularization of life.“ Cultural Geographies, 14: 6-28. [Revised version reprinted in Richard Peet, Paul Robbins and Michael Watts, eds. In Press. Global Political Ecology. London: Routledge].
- Braun, Bruce. 2002. The Intemperate Rainforest: Nature, Culture and Power on Canada’s West Coast. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press. 347pp
- McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, 2001
- GEOG 1301: Our Globalizing World
- GEOG 3376: Polical Ecology of North America
- GEOG 4002: Environmental Thought and Practice
- GEOG 8001: Nature-Society Proseminar
- GEOG 8980: Technology and Biopolitics