Dr Jeffrey P Broadbent
Sociology 1026 Soc Sci 267 19th Ave S
- comparative sociology
- culture and structure
- environmental sociology
- Japanese society
- networks and identity
- political sociology
- qualitative methods
- social movements
- East Asian society
- Ph.D.: Sociology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1982.
- M.A.: Regional Studies-Japan, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1975.
- B.A.: Religious Studies-Buddhism, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1974.
- Movement in Context: Thick Social Networks and Environmental Campaigns in Japan. Broadbent, Jeffrey, Mario Diani and Doug McAdam, editors. Social Movements and Networks. Relational Approaches to Collective Action, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Japan’s Environmental Regime: the Political Dynamics of Change. Broadbent, Jeffrey, In Uday Desai (editor), Environmental Politics and Policies in the Industrialized Countries., Cambridge: MIT Press, 2002.
- Environmental Politics in Japan: Networks of Power and Protest. Broadbent, Jeffrey, Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- The 'Influence Broker' State: Exchange Networks and Political Organization in Japan. Broadbent, Jeffrey, Yoshito Ishio, 1998.
- Comparing Policy Networks: Labor Politics in the U.S., Germany, and Japan. Broadbent, Jeffrey, David Knoke; Franz Pappi; Yutaka Tsujinaka, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
- Comparing Climate Change Policy Networks: data collection in 15 countries, April 2007 - continuing
- Social Movments and social change in East Asia: Comparative reserach on the effects of social movements upon social and potlical change in East Asia, 1988 - continuing
- Social Capital Networks and Political Power: Japan's "Butterfly State" in Comparative Perspective: Research into the effects of relational networks among political organizations in Japan, with comparison to Germany and the US, 1986 - continuing
- Civil Society in Japan: Investigation of the emergence of the voluntary association sector in Japan, 2001 - continuing
- Environmental Policies in Japan: Anaysis of the political causes of Japan's environmental policies, 1978 - on-going
- World Bank project on Japan's environmental policies: research on Japan's environmental policies, 2000 - 2005
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2001
- Outstanding Publication Award, Section on Environment and Technology, American Sociologoical Association, August 2000
- Fulbright Scholar Award (JUSEC), 1988 - 1989
- Fulbirght-Hays Scholar Award, 1989 - 1990
- Soc 3661 - Japanese Society Today
- Soc 4305 - Society and the Environment: A Growing Conflict
- Soc 8310 - Political Sociology seminar
- Soc 8390 - Social Movement seminar
- Soc 3301 - The Uses of Citizenship: An Introduction to Political Sociology