To promote the study of modern foreign languages within graduate and professional schools, the FLAS awards are available on either a 9-month academic year or summer term basis. Fellowships are available for graduate and professional students and undergraduate students studying at the second year or higher in a less commonly taught language.
FLAS Award Winners Announced
The Institute for Global Studies and The European Studies Consortium would like to congratulate the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) awardees for Summer 2013 and the upcoming Academic Year 2014.
International Summer 2013
- Emily Walz, Undergraduate, Advanced Chinese. Department of Asian Languages and Literature
- Alexandra Mitchell, Undergraduate, Intermediate Arabic, Institute for Global Studies
- Julia Corwin, Graduate, Intermediate Hindi, Geography
- Katie Lambright, PhD, Intermediate Chinese, History
International Academic Year 2013-2014
- Gabrielle Abeles-Allison, Undergraduate, Intermediate Arabic, Food Science and Nutrition
- Jennifer Cafarella, Undergraduate, Advanced Arabic, Institute for Global Studies
- Pashouably Vang, Undergraduate, Intermediate Chinese, Asian Languages and Literature
- Na Hee Lee-Workman, Undergraduate, intermediate Portuguese, Spanish & Portuguese
- Jenna Marie Rasmusson, Graduate, Advanced Swahili, School of Public Health
- Julia Corwin, Graduate,Intermediate Hindi, Geography
- Terran Chambers, JD, Beginning Arabic, Law School
Western Europe Summer 2013
- Madeline Reibe, Undergraduate, Intermediate Italian, Department of French and Italian
- Kristen Stoeckler, PhD, Beginning Turkish, Theater Arts & Dance
- Amanda Taylor, PhD, Intermediate Italian, English
- J. Adelia Chrysler, PhD, Beginning Yiddish, Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch
- Rachel Schaff, PhD, Intermediate Czech, Cultural Studies & Comparative Literature
Western Europe Academic Year 2013-2014
- John Stanoch, Undergraduate, Intermediate Russian, Linguistics & Russian
- Timothy Bell, Undergraduate, Intermediate Italian, Physiology/French and Italian Studies
- Jean Costello, Undergraduate, Intermediate Russian, Mathematics
- Felicia Stevens, Undergraduate, Intermediate Dutch, Theater Arts & Dance
- Paul Vig, PhD, Intermediate Dutch, Department of History
- Margarita Kopelmahker, PhD, Advanced Russian, Theater Arts & Dance
- Lucas Franco, PhD, Intermediate Norwegian, Political Science
The FLAS competition is open to undergraduate, graduate and professional students to promote the study of modern foreign languages and in particular less-commonly-taught languages in European and International studies.
Summer Fellowships provide $2500 living stipend and $5000 towards tuitions and fees for undergrads, graduate and professional students. Academic Fellowships provide undergraduates with a $5000 living stipend and $10,000 towards tuition and fees. A $15,000 living stipend and $18,000 towards tuition and fees is available for graduate and professional students.
The nomination process for Summer 2014 and AY 2015 will begin in the fall of 2013. Look for information on this website in August.