The Institute for Global Studies would like to congratulate the Foreign Language and Advanced Area Studies (FLAS) awardees for Summer 2014.
- Patrick Alcorn, Undergraduate, Institute for Global Studies, Turkish
- Lily O'Hara-Brantner, Undergraduate, English, Arabic
- Michael Engh, Masters, Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development, Chinese
- Joseph Getzoff, Masters/Doctorate, Geography, Hebrew
- Anna Kaiper, Masters/Doctorate, Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development, Zulu
- Matthew King, Doctorate,History, Arabic
- Catherine Lambright, Doctorate, History, Chinese
- Christopher Stone, Masters/Doctorate, Political Science, Arabic
- Kimberly Wilson, Undergraduate, Institute for Global Studies, Arabic
- Tracey P Blasenheim, Doctorate, Political Science, Turkish
- Ana Burgers, Masters/Doctorate, Spanish & Portuguese Studies, Portuguese
- Timothy McDonald, Masters/Doctorate, History, Russian
- Veronica Menaldi, Masters/Doctorate, Spanish & Portuguese Studies, Arabic
- Britt Van Paepeghem, Masters/Doctorate, Anthropology, Turkish
- Rebecca Rethwisch, Undergraduate, Spanish & Portuguese Studies, Portuguese
- Kristen Stoeckeler, Masters/Doctorate, Theatre Arts & Dance, Turkish
The FLAS competition is open to undergraduate, graduate and professional students to promote the study of modern foreign languages and in particular less-commonly-taught languages in European and International studies.
Summer Fellowships provide $2500 living stipend and $5000 towards tuitions and fees for undergrads, graduate and professional students. The awards are overseen and granted by the U.S. Department of Education.
The announcement of Academic Year FLAS awardees and information on future competitions is contingent on available funding from the U.S. Department of Education.