Teacher & Community Outreach
The Institute for Global Studies and the European Studies Consortium, Title VI National Resource Centers at the University of Minnesota, provide professional development opportunities for K-16 teachers on global and international topics. We are dedicated to the teaching of international studies and increasing global awareness in students.
The Institute for Global Studies professional development for educators addresses the following global competencies (as defined by the United States Department of Education) that students gain through disciplinary and interdisciplinary studies:
- Students investigate the world beyond their immediate environment.
- Students recognize their own and others' perspectives.
- Students translate their ideas into appropriate actions to improve conditions.
- Students communicate their ideas effectively with diverse audiences.
For more information about programs, please call 612-624-9007 or e-mail Deborah Jane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Descriptions and registration links of upcoming programs available at the page Professional Development for Teachers.
Teaching Resources on Global and International Topics
University of Minnesota resources
- Teaching Global Race, Ethnicity, and Migration (REM) (Immigration History Research Center Migration resouces for k-6, 7-12 grades, and college level)
- Integration of Immigrants into their New Communities (Immigration History Research Center Migration resouces for k-6, 7-12 grades, and college level)
- Podcasts from Muslims in Minnesota Series
- Lesson Plans by teacher participants from past institutes and some handouts available in program archives. Click on program title for course description and lesson plans available for download.
- Resources and downloads for Global Competencies by Edutopia
- Search for classroom materials, lesson plans, primary sources, and actvities while sorting by grade level and state standard from Library of Congress Teacher Resources.
- Blogs on Global Education
- Hijos del Verso Fisahara, video by Western Sahara Poet Bahia Awah
Useful Websites on Global Competencies
- Asia Society
- Link to Asia Society's chart defining Global Competencies
- Minnesota Department of Education Global Literacy Advisory Board
2010 – 2014 KFAI Series
- Global Perspectives on Hijab. by Zuhur Ahmend