"When should I start thinking about my career options?"
It's never to early to start thinking about your professional goals and the skills, experience and abilities you will need to help you reach them. A good place to start is the Global Studies Advising office and our Employment Opportunties and Career Development & Recruiting blogs. Global Studies Advising can help you understand your options and connect you with a variety of resources ranging from alumni networks to resume writing workshops. The University’s Career and Community Learning Center job site can also be a benefitial tool for beginning this process. If you decide you need a bit more seasoning before entering the job market we can also help you explore the numerous graduate school options available to you.
"What does it take to make my job search successful?"
There are a variety of factors that facilitate a successful job search. While it’s important to find the types of jobs you want and are qualified for, it’s even more important to have strong resumes, cover letters and interviewing/followup skills. The Career and Community Learning Center (CCLC) offers a variety of resources (including resume, cover letter and interviewing workshops) to help this search be a success.
"How do I find International Employment?"
Working internationally is a goal for many Global Studies students. The most accessible way of doing this is to work for a US based organization with global connections. Oftentimes working for foreign organizations can be difficult (not impossible) due to each country’s labor laws and the cost an organization incurs to hire expatriate workers. Regardless, a key to obtaining globally focused work is through experiences overseas, networking, functional expertise and language ability. Study Abroad, interning abroad and globally focused internships in the US are excellent ways of giving you the international experiences necessary to make yourself a more competitive candidate for these positions.
- Indeed.com A leading US jobsite; comprehensive
- careerbuilder.com A leading US jobsite; comprehensive w/ strong focus on private sector
- Startribune.com A leading Local/Regional Jobsite; comprehensive
- International Jobs Center International jobs for professionals
- Workabroad.Monster.com A leading International jobsite; comprehensive w/ focus on private sector
- Idealist.org A domestic and international jobsite focused on public and non-profit sectors
- US State Department Foreign and Civil Service Employment Opportunities with the US Gov.
- Peace Corps Opportunities with the Peace Corps
- USAID Careers Opportunities with USAID
- US Jobs US Government Jobs
- International Monetary Fund International and domestic employment with the IMF
- International Labor Organization International and domestic employment with the ILO
- World Bank International and domestic employment with the World Bank
- World Health Organization International and domestic employment at the WHO
- World Trade Organization International and domestic employment with the WTO
- United Nations Jobs International and domestic employment with the United Nations
- MNCN.org Local/Regional employment; the best site focused on non-profit sector
- Idealist.org A domestic and international jobsite; focused on public and non-profit sectors
- HESS Teaching English in Taiwan
- HESS Teaching English in Singapore
- Transitions Abroad Daily postings of jobs teaching english abroad
- TEFL Jobs Abroad Teaching ESL worldwide
- TeachAbroad.com International teaching positions
- Aeon Teaching English in Japan Private corporation focused on teaching English in Japan
- Assistant d’anglais French governmentt program for teaching English in France
- JET Programme Japanese government program focused on teaching English in Japan
- Department of State Information on teaching overseas; including listing of American schools overseas
- Relief Net Jobs in human rights, international development and relief
- EcoJobs Jobs in environmental fields
- Oneworld.net For jobs in human rights, environment, and sustainable development worldwide
- Foreign Policy Association International focused internships, job and volunteer opportunities
- FindaJobinAfrica.com Jobs in Africa
- CareerMidEast.com Jobs in the MidEast
- EuroJobs.com Jobs in Europe
- JobSite.uk Jobs in the UK
- JobsDB.com Jobs throughout Asia
- LatPro.com Jobs throughout Latin America
- BUNAC BUNAC offers a range of working holidays including a summer camp counseling programme in the USA, flexible work and travel programmes to Canada, Australia and New Zealand and volunteering placements. These are open to full-time or gap year students and other young people from both the UK and the USA. Programmes last from 8 weeks to eighteen months.
*Please report broken links via e-mail to email@example.com.